Is Sitting the New Smoking


You might want me to explain the title of this post. New studies have proven that sitting 8 hours a day can be just as bad for your health as smoking. If you sit for more than 30 minutes at a time you put your body into hibernation mode. In hibernation mode many of your normal body functions slow down to give the body time to repair itself. That means that your body will burn fewer calories in hibernation mode. That means that your body will store more calories than if you were moving around. The body only has one way to store calories by turning those unused calories into fat and storing the fat in fat cells. 

This just happened to me last week. My neighbor volunteers at a non-profit that grows plants to raise money to fund their projects. My neighbor does maintenance work in the greenhouses. He asked me to help him install a new irrigation system in one of the new greenhouses. I said okay, I need a little physical activity after the holidays.

The project took 2-4 hours days, and I lost one pant size. The work was physical but not hard, just constantly moving and going up and down ladders. I was really tired after the first day. We rested the next day and went back the following day to finish up the project. The greenhouse wasn't small but it wasn't difficult to work. The bonus for me is that I dropped a couple inches around my waist and I got rid of that bloated feeling. I know volunteering isn't for everyone but you can find easy jobs like volunteering at the library or a Grammar School or a hospital. I lost the inches around my waist by being on my feet for 4 hours. It's not difficult and most of the time it's only half a day. Start by volunteering twice a week.

I find it better than a gym membership and the results can be just as good.  For retired people, it gives you a chance to get out and meet new people, and have lunch out occasionally. Yes, the extra activity is good for you, and having a social life will lift your spirits.

Look for my podcast by searching “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight” on the podcast app that you use. You’ll see a piece of my book cover.


If you want to lose your body fat look for my e-books at the websites listed below. You’ll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet. Instead of spending hours on the internet reading dozens of posts, you can save time by picking up one of my e-books. 


There are two e-books. “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $3.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my e-book. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans, or meal plans. 


Look for my book. at Amazon.com, bn.com, iBooks, Kobo.comScribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.

My new e-book is available on Smashwords.com and other online bookstores. Just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Mediterranean Diet?

Changing Your Life To Lose Weight

Cancer and High Protein Diets