How to Stop Rewarding Yourself with Food

How to Stop Rewarding Yourself with Food
One of my fondest memories as a child was going out to dinner with my family when we had something to celebrate. Whether it was straight A’s on my report card or if I lowered my best time in the 100-meter butterfly, food was at the center of how we celebrated these moments of success. 
To this day, if something great happens, I still have this urge to celebrate with food, alcohol or both. Get a salary raise for doing good work? Pop the bubbly and bring on the cheese board! Run over 13.1 miles while training for my first full marathon? It’s burger and craft beer time. I know I’m not alone in celebrating with the delicious things in life. But, having this as my knee jerk reaction had me thinking that it isn’t really the best mindset for my healthy.
The problem is that big meals are the way we can pull the whole family together, whether we go out and eat or make a big meal at home. Whether it's a birthday party or a holiday I think we always celebrate with food and this it's just done in this country. This is the way people all over the world celebrate and it's been this way for centuries. Yes, there are other ways to celebrate, but a big meal type celebration isn't going to change anytime soon.
With 2017 on the horizon, I’ve been thinking about some other ways to celebrate these successes by not using food and alcohol as my primary reward. Here are six ways to reward yourself without using food:
1. PLAN A TRIP
A weekend getaway or a ten-day trip abroad are really appealing ways to reward yourself and scratch a few places off that bucket list. While the celebration may be in the form of delayed satisfaction, it gives you something to look forward to throughout the year. This winter, I planned a long weekend to go skiing and a tropical vacation in the middle of the bitter winter.
2. SCHEDULE AN EXERCISE DATE WITH A FRIEND
Why not celebrate a recent success by meeting with a friend and getting your sweat on? The key here is to schedule and spend on an activity you’re going to be excited about. My personal favorites include hot yoga and barre. Other popular activities include rock climbing, kayaking or cycling. Exercising with your buddy allows you to catch up and share your successes with one another. The endorphin rush that comes during and after the class is a nice added bonus, too.
3. TREAT YO’ SELF
As someone who loves a good massage, spa day, or pedicure, but rarely receive these treatments, I’m planning to swap self-care for food. If you accomplished your goals, book yourself an hour long massage, facial or spa experience. Splurge on tickets to see your favorite band or sports team. Got a budget to stick to? Set up a nice, warm bubble bath and play your favorite tunes.
4. SPLURGE ON A SHOPPING SPREE
Been eyeing a new gadget? Want some new fashion accessories? This is the time for splurging on some bigger ticket items that you’d normally forgo due to the hefty price tag. While it’s important to budget for these items, celebrating a big win with a new fancy blender or killer pair of boots can be a fun alternative way to reward yourself and celebrate your success in a new way.

I confess, when my diet is working and I lose some inches, I go shopping. There is nothing better for me than buying a smaller pair of pants. Getting a shirt that has a "slim fit" label. That's the way I celebrate and every time I put on those new clothes it puts a smile on my face.

If you notice the suggestions I've made are more for small celebrations, which we seem to have more of, compared to the big celebrations with the whole family and close friends that tend to be "blowouts." There are some things you can do to limit the calories your serving or consuming at a big blowout. Many of your guests have become weight conscious and you want them to eat without feeling guilty. If your serving you know you have to have some of the popular foods, but you can all serve some of the healthier items like vegetable trays, fresh shrimp, and plenty of fruit. Also, don't forget the drinks. Many people today are drinking the zero calories flavored waters and other non-alcoholic drinks without calories or low-calorie like ice-tea.

If you're just attending a big function, Don't be tempted by high-calorie foods. Sometimes when you call your host to let them know your coming, it might be a good thing if you tell them which foods you want to avoid. I remember a dinner party I was invited to and all they had was deep-fried fish and cole slaw. So I picked on a small plate and discarded the rest.

If you're having a problem losing weight you might find my ebooks can put you on the right track. You can read about my weight loss journey and how I lost my extra body fat.

You can tweet me at #ray0369

I write several blogs, check out some of my other sites.

gettingtoahealthyweight.blog
idropped40pounds.wordpress.com
howbaddoyouwanttoloseweight.blogspot.com
blogonlosingweight.com
blogonweight.blogspot.com



If you really want to lose your body fat than look for my Ebooks at the websites listed below. You'll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet.

My new ebook is available on Smashwords.com, just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. I’ll give you a discount coupon you can use at checkout. (PJ42H) not case-sensitive the price is $1.99 w/couponThere’s two ebooks.  “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $1.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my Ebook. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans or meal plans. Look for my book. at Amazon.com, B&N.com, iBooks, Kobo.com, Scribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Mediterranean Diet?

Changing Your Life To Lose Weight

Cancer and High Protein Diets