Skip to main content

An Incredible Weight Loss Story


2 Years & 3,000 Instagram Posts: How Kim Lost 170 Pounds

   
SHARE IT:
2 Years & 3,000 Instagram Posts: How Kim Lost 170 Pounds
Meet Kim Carter Martinez. By day, she works for a labor union in San Francisco. On weekends, you’ll often find her participating in runs or bike rides. Kim stays fit, eats well and makes healthy choices, including everything in moderation. What isn’t immediately obvious from this description is that she is literally half the woman she used to be. Here she is in a recent photo:
 
Kim has lost nearly 170 pounds over two years by making big changes to her lifestyle that have led to, she hopes, long-term healthy habits. And over the past three years, she’s chronicled every step of her journey through thousands of Instagram posts.
This is Kim in 2013. To hear her tell it, she has struggled with weight her whole life. She was also diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, which her mother eventually died from when Kim was still in high school. “I just kind of used food as a comfort,” she says. At her heaviest, Kim weighed 344 pounds.
Kim was also diagnosed with arthritis in her knee, which required total knee replacement surgery. Because of her weight at the time, her doctor refused to perform the procedure unless she lost at least 50 pounds. “That was the turning point,” she explains. “That’s when I knew I had to make a change.”
Kim wasn’t necessarily looking for MyFitnessPal, but she did notice that some of her connections in the diabetes community were hashtagging the app on their Instagram posts. It seemed like a good tool for her to carefully track and manage food intake and exercise. She didn’t yet have the confidence to join a gym, but she did follow along with Richard Simmons videos in her garage.
She did the hardest work with her diet. “I gave up Starbucks,” she says. “That was like an extra 300-400 calories per day. I gave up snacking. I started cooking my own food and stopped eating out three meals a day. I taught myself how to meal prep. Now I have it down to a 45-minute science.”
By May of 2014, Kim had lost the 50 pounds her doctor had asked for, and she got the knee replacement surgery. But she wasn’t done at 280. Far from it: “I wanted to continue losing weight and get healthier.”
At her heaviest, Kim couldn’t fathom joining a gym. But by now, she felt much more inspired. “A lot of it was the confidence in thinking I couldn’t do it, then trying it and surprising myself,” she says. 
Kim should be an inspiration for everyone who has to lose weight. Yes, I think the first 50 pounds may be the hardest or for some of us it's the first 20 pounds. But after you make those lifestyle changes and learn to work out every day and learn how to workout for weight loss, After you get all the basics down you'll feel inspired and energized and you'll want to stay with it and be the best you can be. It helps you in your personal life and your professional life. 
Kim is only one person out of the thousands that are joining the weight loss battle. My niece, now 40 something, has won her battle and is now a very slim version of her former self. Congrats to a lady who had the will power to succeed. 
You can tweet me at #ray0369

I write several blogs, check out some of my other sites.

gettingtoahealthyweight.blog
idropped40pounds.wordpress.com
howbaddoyouwanttoloseweight.blogspot.com
blogonlosingweight.com
blogonweight.blogspot.com



If you really want to lose your body fat than look for my Ebooks at the websites listed below. You'll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet.

My new ebook is available on Smashwords.com, just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. I’ll give you a discount coupon you can use at checkout. (PJ42H) not case-sensitive the price is $1.99 w/couponThere’s two ebooks.  “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $1.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my Ebook. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans or meal plans. Look for my book. at Amazon.com, B&N.com, iBooks, Kobo.com, Scribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Mediterranean Diet?

Changing Your Life To Lose Weight

Cancer and High Protein Diets