New Year's Resolutions

I read that out of the "Top Ten New Year's Resolutions" published on USA.gov, LOSING WEIGHT, GET FIT, EXERCISE MORE and GO ON A DIET were among the most popular. Unfortunately most people have trouble with the "follow-thru". We have good intentions and most of us will actually see results, but sometime during the year we lose track of our goals and get off the program sometimes gaining back more then we lost.

We've been told about our weight and we know in our hearts that we have to get into shape, but after a couple months of little or no success we either give up or just get busy with something else and lose direction.

I want to give you hope, no matter how many times you've tried and failed, you can still get fit and lose weight. You can be a healthier version of you. Most of us try too hard and expect too much. Yes, girls that have a babies can lose that baby weight fast, if they work at it and if their young enough, but for the rest of us, losing weight can be a never-ending challenge.

You want to be honest with yourself, how long have you been over-weight? And how much are you overweight? 

I'm in favor of the slow approach to losing weight. First of all, if you lose weight too fast you'll look like a dried-up prune. You can lose weight much quicker then your skin will shrink. One or two pounds a week is a good pace for anyone who wants to improve their health by losing weight.  Losing weight fast with one of those quick weight lose plans can actually ruin your immune system so your more likely to catch a cold or even the flu. And most likely you'll lose strength and energy, it can really slow you down. Slow and steady weight lose will keep you strong and improve your immune system and you'll feel better with every week that goes by.

What's the trick?

Just change what you eat. The way you eat now will only keep increasing your body fat. If you start now to eat healthy, no more eating out (not forever) just until you get your weight under control. No more fast food, no more Chinese food, or Mexican food. Both have too many carbs. I like the low-fat diets but I know some prefer the low-carb diets. Actually they both work. If one isn't working for you, stop that one and try the other one. Both work on low calories. You don't have to starve yourself. The Mediterranean Diet is my favorite. It's not a diet plan, it's a way of eating for the rest of your life. People in the Mediterranean region have been eating this way for centuries. If you look on my website, on the home page under Diets you'll see the whole plan.

Eating fresh and preparing your own meals is key. It takes planning on your part but it will be worth it. I plan my menu and then shop. I eat six small meals a day. About 300 calories each. If you do a little planning the first week it makes it much easier for the weeks ahead. I don't try to eat something different everyday. Yes, I might do something different for the first seven days but after that I repeat the same meals but change-up the order so I'm not eating the same thing every Monday, for instance. Then if I get tired of one meal, I only have to change one meal. And I don't change a meal until I know what I'll change to.

If you look at the food pyramid on my website you'll see lots of menu choices and you won't have to count calories. Just stick to the food on the pyramid and do some extra walking to burn more calories. If you stick to it, you will lose weight and feel better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Mediterranean Diet?

Changing Your Life To Lose Weight

Cancer and High Protein Diets