Do you remember your Grandparents?

I bring that up because eating those home cooked meals everyday and having dinner together every night was the best part of living at home. My grandparents lived with us and my grandmother did most of the cooking.

What I remember is we ate meals together and we ate what was on the menu that day. What ever my grandmother made that day. This was in the 50's and early 60's which probably seems like a century ago to most people, but in fact most seniors grew up the same way. I lived in a suburb of Chicago called Elmwood Park, for those who haven't heard of it, we were next to Oak Park, Opra has a house in Elmwood Park among others. We had a grocery store close by with a meat market. The bakery was one block down. Fruits and vegetables were fresh everyday from nearby farms, nothing was packaged and they delivered your groceries if you asked. Most people didn't drive to the store. There were some restaurants in the neighborhood but not the number that you see today. We ate out about twice a year, pretty normal for the times. After I started to drive and date then I would frequent restaurants pretty regular.

What I'm getting at is that at home we ate food that was good for us and if you didn't like it, too bad. Yes, sometimes we used too much butter or used criso to fry chicken, and now we know better. Today we eat things we like to eat regardless of the nutrition value. Once you decide to eat for the sake of nutrition and not for taste you'll start eating less at a meal.

Sometimes a co-worker will ask me, "You really eat that stuff?" I prefer to bring my lunch, that way I know what I'm eating. I haven't eaten a hamburger in 10 years, and probably 3 hamburgers in twenty years. Restaurant food is made to taste good, that's why people come back. Believe me it has nothing to do with nutritional value. Restaurants use all that butter and lard, white flour and highly processed meat that we know we shouldn't eat. Everyones different and can eat a different diet, but it's only food with nutrition that keeps you healthy, keeps your body working properly. I'm retired and in my early 60's and feel like I'm still in my thirties. Yes I do some exercise everyday, but only about 30 minutes. It's all about the diet.

I think if we could remember back to the foods our grandparents ate, we might be healthier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Mediterranean Diet?

Changing Your Life To Lose Weight

Cancer and High Protein Diets